Thursday, October 31, 2013
Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber Opposes State Initiative 522
The Chamber’s Government Affairs Committee’s recommendation to oppose the initiative cited several compelling reasons:
• Misleading labeling that only includes selected foods.
• Costly labeling for Washington State only, impacting 70-80% of our foods – no other state has these requirements in place.
• Implies that genetically modified food is unsafe or unhealthy, all of which have been deemed safe by the FDA.
• Foods with certified organic labels cannot include genetically modified organisms, already allowing consumers to choose this option.
• Will raise prices for consumers (at an average of $490 a year) and cost farm jobs.