Ramps will close for prep work for Pacific Avenue demo in Tacoma
In advance of the scheduled April 6 nearly year-long total closure of the Pacific Avenue overpass spanning Interstate 5 in Tacoma, crews have additional work that will require night ramp and lane closures. The closures could result in some delays during the week of March 30.
In addition to the below closures, three around-the-clock ramp closures remain in place:
• Southbound I-5 to State Route 7
• Northbound SR 7 to southbound I-5
• A Street to Interstate 705
Wednesday, April 1
• At 10 p.m., the southbound State Route 167/Portland Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close until 6 a.m. the following day.
• At 11 p.m., the northbound I-5 collector/distributor exit to southbound SR 7 will close until 4 a.m. the following day.
Friday, April 3
• At 12:01 a.m., the northbound I-5 collector/distributor exit to SR 7 will close until 4 a.m.
Lane and shoulder closures
From Monday through Thursday, March 30-April 2, drivers may encounter night lane and shoulder closures on I-5, SR 7, and the northbound I-5 collector/distributor lane (from State Route 16 and South 38th Street).
City of Tacoma streets
From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 1, drivers will see single lane closures on East 27th Street and Wiley Avenue.
Know before you go
Stay informed with nearly 200 specialized alerts from Washington State Department of Transportation. Other roadway information is available via WSDOT’s travel alerts web page and Twitter account.
Hyperlinks within the release:
• Tacoma Traffic web page: www.wsdot.wa.gov/construction/pugetsound/tacoma.htm
• WSDOT self-subscribe alerts: https://service.govdelivery.com/accounts/WADOT/subscriber/new
• Travels alerts web page: www.wsdot.com/traffic/trafficalerts/
• Twitter @wsdot_tacoma: https://twitter.com/wsdot_tacoma
Monday, April 6, WSDOT will close Pacific Avenue in Tacoma at Interstate 5 for almost a year. WSDOT takes this opportunity to give you a heads-up about the closure, and to explain why it is necessary.
The closure is part of WSDOT’s I-5 - M Street to Portland Avenue – HOV project, in which they are widening I-5 to accommodate HOV lanes. The columns supporting the overpass conflict with the alignment of the future widened highway, so the overpass will be demolished and rebuilt during the long-term closure.
WSDOT has worked with the City of Tacoma to create a detour route. It fully recognizes this will be an inconvenience for drivers who will need to modify their travel plans, and thanks you in advance for your patience while this work is under way. This project is one piece of a larger effort called the I-5 - SR 16 Tacoma/Pierce County HOV Program, which is a substantial investment by WSDOT to increase highway capacity in Pierce County.