What does business want in a new Tacoma City Manager?
This question, a prelude to
Tacoma’s hunt for a manager, was posed at the Chamber’s Government Affairs Committee by three Tacoma Councilmembers. new city
Visiting the committee were Councilmembers Jake Fey, Ryan Mello and Marty Campbell. They asked Chamber members at the meeting their recommendations for desired characteristics the Tacoma Council should look for in its next City Manager.
Here’s a short recap of suggestions by the Chamber members:
- considers all the interests of the community.
- anticipates unintended consequences
- is adept at management
- understands customer relations management
- has ability to build a good team
- manages the expectations of change
- understands economic development attraction and retention
- carries a big picture
- considers good of the whole
- recognizes core city responsibilities
- willingly questions “nice to have”
- faces the reality of revenue limitations
- looks at different ways to accomplish tasks