Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rick Talbert will NOT run for Mayor

The new year brings a new campaign season.

The mayoral race may have begun as a result of Rick Talbert's declaration to NOT run for the seat. A number of potential candidates have been on the sidelines waiting to see if the Tacoma City Council Member would seek the position, which is open due to term limits on current Mayor Bill Baarsma.

Read his letter to supporters below:

Dear friends and supporters:

Over the past year, I have weighed the possibility of running for the office of Tacoma Mayor. Many of you have encouraged me and offered your support. I am extremely grateful for this and consider it an honor to have so many wonderful people encourage me to pursue this opportunity.

I have always considered serving the citizens of Tacoma over the past seven years as an incredible honor. We have gone through some extremely difficult times, yet have had many more successes.

I can think of no other elected position I would enjoy serving in than Mayor of Tacoma. I have always been proud of our city, and I believe our best days are still ahead of us.

Christy and I have given a lot of consideration to what a run for Mayor would entail for our family. After weighing the considerable time commitment and the financial realities it would place on our family, we have decided that right now is not the time to take on such an incredible challenge.

I will be working on a number of initiatives this year to assist in increasing Tacoma's investment in its citizens and its neighborhoods. I will be traveling with a delegation of my colleagues to Washington D.C. next week to work with our federal delegation on the stimulus package that is before congress. Tacoma is well situated with a long list of projects that will not only bring employment opportunities to our citizens, but will improve the quality of life for all of us.

I am committed to spending my last year on the Council working with my colleagues and community members to continue to push to make Tacoma the greatest city it can be.

I look forward to working with you not only for the next 12 months but also long into the future to continue to improve our wonderful city.

Sincerely,

Rick Talbert

No comments:

Post a Comment